Thursday, January 13, 2011

Harrison is 10! Come again?????



Totally aware this looks like an engagement pic, but I started taking a picture of just Harry, then Ava swept in and just hugged him like this! So appropriate because they are inseparable, and this is a great shot of Harry...do you not agree?

I was looking for Harry's birth certificate in a box of stuff I've kept for him through the years yesterday. It was a melancholy experience. I don't like at all how time is just flying at the speed of light. I know I shouldn't be so negative because there are so many wonderful things about kids getting older, but when I came across pictures of him at 1,2,3,4,5 etc. I just longed to be able to pick him up, and hold him so close like I used to. I had Harrison all to myself for 4 years. He was my little side kick. Some of my favorite memories when it was just he and I (okay, Scott too but you get my drift) were of snuggling in EVERYDAY for 3 hour naps. He could only fall asleep if our noses touched. It might as well have been heaven, as far as I was concerned, every single day holding that little boy. Also, on a not-so-heavenly note, Harrison has been a great source of worry for me over the years. Not worry for myself but worry for him, for his life and worry that he can remain confident through the challenges that he has been given. He really struggles with Dyslexia. School has been a challenge to say the least. We've done so many different things with him. Every new year brings new challenges and new adventures. And with all of the changes he has been through he is always so upbeat and teachable! Which brings me so appropriately to the TOP 10 reasons I just adore HARRY!


1) He is an eternal optimist. If he says even one negative comment about anything...you know it had to be so so bad!
2) He doesn't see differences in one single human. He literally would be friends with ANYONE. NO ONE freaks him out, is unapproachable, too dirty, disabled, ugly, you name it. I know without any doubt that I could introduce him to some freak from the 'Ripley's Believe It or Not book' and he'd be like...'Hey, what's up? I'm Harrison!"

3)He has never once been willfully disobedient. Has he done stupid things?...uh...YA! But when I've told him not to do something, I'm 98% sure he'll never do it again. (notice I'll leave a margin of error?)

4) He is SO funny! Especially to the younger kids. I'll hear Ava in the back seat say...Harry, make me laugh!
5)He is a pro at delayed gratification. If given an option that is immediate but not as good as the long term option, he has no qualms with waiting.

6) He rarely complains about anything...which has proven to be my sanity at times. While I'll have other children convulsing on the floor for myriads of reasons...I'll be on the brink of an explosion and I'll look off into the distance and see my one shining example of a go with the flow, easy going child off in the distance kindly smiling at me amidst the chaos and I can keep it together for 3 more minutes.

7) He is a peacemaker. He will give up almost anything to make a younger sibling stop crying. Which is HUGE for me! There are others (who will remain nameless) that delight hearing the sobs of siblings that want what they are playing with. THANK YOU BUD!

8) He is a pro at perseverance! He has an incredible ability to keep at something that is difficult for him...which happens to be most everything:( Sad but true. I always tell him that even though things are tough for him now, he'll be able to out work anyone because not much has come easy to him.

9) He is the earliest riser you know, and has the energy of I don't know what! He can function on a minimum amount of sleep and still be cheerful all day. He gets that from his dad...not me by a long shot!

10) Harrison is just plain happy all the time. My big line for him is:
LIFE IS A BOWL OF CHERRIES FOR HARRY!





So you can clearly see how incredibly awful our lives would be if we did not have his kind, happy, good natured kid in our home. Thank you for making these last 10 years of our lives the best ones! We love you Harrison!!!!

3 comments:

Juliana said...

I can't believe he is TEN- that means I AM SO OLD!!! I remember when he was born!! hahah

Suzy Hicks said...

Jill, this post is so true. Harry has so many amazing qualities that make him special. Our lives were forever changed when this little guy was born. He gave our family a reason to live and still does. LOVE HIM (and you).

Marci said...

Jill, I love this entry! We have watched Harry (and you) from when you were just the 'two peas in a pod' - napping, taking 3 baths a day, living in jammies (or for him, nothing!) and it's been a great sight. Your family is nothing short of an adventure and Harry is definitely a huge piece of your journey. He made you a Mommy, what an awesome gift.